Experts left stunned by possible sea lice bites after Sam Kanizay emerged from the beach at Brighton with bleeding
A Melbourne teenager says his legs were covered in blood after they were eaten by tiny marine creatures at a Victorian beach.
When Sam Kanizay, 16, felt sore after soccer on Saturday, he decided to soak his legs at Dendy Street beach in Brighton.
He described so he went back in the water having sand on his legs when he got out, his father, Jarrod Kanizay, stated.
He moved back to his shoes and what he discovered was blood on his legs. They ate through Sams skin and made it bleed.
University of New South Wales marine invertebrates expert, Alistair Poore, said he had never seen a case like it.
Poore told Guardian Australia the biting must have been brought on by a marine invertebrate, most likely sea lice. But he said a high number of sea lice would be required to cause extensive bleeding.
If it is sea lice, then it is a dramatic illustration of it, Poore said.
He said frequently beachgoers mistook stinging from the remnants of jellyfish tentacles. But Poore stated the bleeding in this case appeared too severe.
The bleeding stops where employees were at a loss, and they moved to hospital.
Whenever we wiped them [his legs] down, they kept bleeding, he said.
There was a pool of blood on the ground [at the hospital] . Nobody knows what the creatures are. Theyve called numerous people, whether its toxicity marine or experts exerts and other medics around Melbourne at least… [and[ yep, no one [understands] .
The next night, Kanizay went back to the beach with a pool internet filled with beef and captured the monsters he said were responsible.
What is really clear is these little things love meat, he said of a movie in a tray of water spilled chunks of meat, showing the bugs.